Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

I've come to a realization within the past few weeks...I'm old. Well, at least I'm getting old. I think it really hit me when I was in Ottawa this past weekend. Young kids in their 20's running around, getting drunk as if the whole Canada Day celebration was spring break. When did it become that? Maybe it's always been that way but now I'm just so old it's easier to notice it or is it simply just a state of mind? Is it possible that I'm in a space these days where I simply want to get a good job and settle down with a family? Well, I still like to have a few drinks but getting rowdy and smashing beer bottles over our heads just isn't an option these days. The big 3-0 is just around the corner and I can't even remember where the years went. It's been a decade plus 2 years now since I finished high school. Where on earth does the time go?

Ryan Adams once said, "Where we are flesh and blood by the next one we are dust under the wheels."

Scary isn't it?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the big 3-0?
you sound like you're pushing 4-0.
lol. don't give up and settle down just yet, you young whippersnapper!